Search This Blog

Monday 1 August 2022

Dusk

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #36  The The - Dusk


The The posts are just like Corporation buses. None for ages and then two come along at once.When I featured Mind Bomb last week I mentioned that I thought it was the first time I had ever seen anything by The The in a charity shop.

The very same Kilmarnock charity shop also had a copy of Dusk the band's fourth album from 1993 on Sony and is  described by Popmatters.com as arguably their last great album. I can't corroborate this as I am not familiar with any of their further albums.
Needless to say I snapped it up and therefore came away with two albums by The The or rather three if you count the copy of  Soul Mining which was in the jewel case alongside Mind Bomb.

I'm happy to report that it is in a much better condition than the other two and played ok on my CD burner.It is inconceiveable that two individuals would hand in CDs by The The into the BHF shop in Kilmarnock at the same time. Therefore I can only assume that the person who handed them in had listened to this one a lot less that the two others given its condition.

That is his/her loss This was the first time that I have heard this album or any of the tracks on it. It is not necessarily an easy listen but it is well worth persevering with. Like much of their stuff the album cover is by Matt Johnson's brother the late Andy Dog . I couldn't not include Slow Emotion Replay given that it was the 94th best selling single in Iceland in 1993.
A definite keeper.

This concludes the mini haul from my Prestwick/Kilmarnock excursion







8 comments:

  1. Lovely to have such positive things all coming at once!
    I can't listen to 'Love Is...' without ending up in floods of tears, it's just a perfect song.
    Thanks for the mention of Andy too. I miss him still, especially in Summertime when we would have been drinking tea in the garden and comparing wildlife notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of your friendship when I saw this one C

      Delete
    2. I discovered your blog rather belatedly, C, so I didn't know of your friendship with Andy. What a lovely image in a few words. Mrs K bought me a The The T-shirt for my 50th, featuring a variant of Andy's cover for Soul Mining. I wear it with great love and affection.

      https://dubhed.blogspot.com/search?q=20+from+20

      Delete
  2. Here's an album I used to love, but haven't played in an age. Must rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I have to concur that it was the last 'great' album

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning album, CC, and a fantastic find. The The's follow-up was an album of Hank Williams covers and a rare misstep in many respects, but I have a lot of love for Naked Self. It was less immediate but it coincided with the one time I saw The The live in concert (in 2000) so I developed a real connection with the album. I

    n fairness, since then, The The albums have been largely instrumental soundtracks, but Matt Johnson has been threatening a new album for a while and if the 'singles' from the last couple of years are anything to go by, I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this album, Johnny Marr bringing some wonderful guitar to it.

    ReplyDelete