Search This Blog

Sunday 31 July 2022

Albums on both CD and Vinyl - Rattlesnakes

 


I was absolutely gobsmacked to discover that Lloyd Cole and the Commotions have only ever appeared on these pages once before today. Not only that when they did appear it was with two out of the five tracks from the compilation album Lloyd Cole and the Commotions 1984 -1989 which don't appear on their first two albums.

That's correct, nothing then from their second album Easy Pieces (1985) and even more criminally nothing from their masterpiece debut album 1984's Rattlesnakes released on Polydor. Rest assured I've given myself a severe talking to.

My vinyl copy is second hand from Missing Records which cost me £1.99 and which is still in tip top condition. The CD version belongs to Mrs CC and contains an extra four tracks.

However you are not getting any of them. No siree. .Rattlesnakes has 10 tracks and is 35 minutes 29 seconds long without a second  being wasted. I have selected three for today but if I had instead gone for any of the other seven you would not have been short changed.

One of the great Scottish albums

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Perfect Skin

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - 2cv

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Are You Ready to Be Heartbroken?

I suspect that a post on Easy Pieces may also now appear sooner rather than later.

10 comments:

  1. Cracking record, absolute bargain at £1.99, but... Rattleskins???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too late to make amends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, "one of the great Scottish albums"? I know he went to uni in Glasgow, but Lloyd is originally from Buxton, you know...

      Delete
    2. I think in our corner of the ‘Net we normally give Lloyd’s albums with the Commotions Scottish status. - Brian

      Delete
  3. Two pounds and a day at Missing is a good day, indeed. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. And he's still got it in spades......https://thenewvinylvillain.com/2022/05/03/i-wouldnt-say-it-if-i-didnt-mean-it/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought "Rattleskins" was perhaps the stripped back demo version. I'm glad you got the 'original' (and not imaginary) album, CC!

    My first album of theirs wasn't this but Easy Pieces. I've a lot of love for that album too (looking forward to the follow up post) but, production-wise, Rattlesnakes has aged better, I think.

    And speaking of imaginary (compilation) albums... https://thenewvinylvillain.com/2021/11/04/an-imaginary-compilation-album-300-lloyd-cole/

    LC (& JC) still got it in spades!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 great songs there and really looking forward to when you do Easy Pieces which (from memory) doesn't have a duff track. Buxton is just down the road from me - a lovely place to visit (and no, I'm not on a retainer from the local tourist board)

    ReplyDelete