Search This Blog

Sunday 17 July 2022

Albums on both CD and Vinyl - Hipsway

 


The vinyl version of  Hipsway the 1986 debut album by Glasgow band of the same name belongs to Mrs CC and was bought around then. I subsequently picked up a CD version  a few years ago in a Charity shop in North Berwick.

The image above is the cover of the record. My CD only has the band's name - same size and font - but no pen pics of the band. The band at the time were Grahame Skinner - voals, Pim Jones - guitar, Harry Travers -drums and Johnny McElhone - bass. McElhone went on to form Texas.

I've featured The Honeythief a couple of times before and make no apologies for doing so again. It is a tremendous song with an instantly recognised intro which  is guaranteed to get Glaswegians of a certain vintage up on rthe dancefloor. There is even a beer named after it


More recently Last Night from Glasgow have picked up the baton with a 35th Anniversay gatefold LP and also another gatefold of the band's third and final album Smoke and Dreams - available here

The light of deep regret
Let me see what I don't get


Hipsway - The Honeythief

Hipsway -Ask the Lord

5 comments:

  1. Yes, the Honeythief is a great song. I think Mrs CC and I share a lot of the same musical likes. Would be keen on hearing what else would pop up in a Mrs CC series of picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice wee place; I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing nothing about Hipsway, I've always skipped past their alb(s) when I've seen it/them in the racks - on the basis of The Honeythief I've obviously missed out. Great track

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought Hipsway were bound for superstardom on the back of The Honeythief. Loved it at the time, and while I still regard it with great affection, it has something of a sound that hasn't aged well....see also the debut LP by Love & Money from the same period.

    ReplyDelete