Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2022

Swedefest - Night of the Furies

 



The third instalment of Swedefest is aptly the third album by Raleigh, North Carolina band The Rosebuds released on Merge Records in April 2007.
The band consisted of Ivan Howard and Kelly Crisp and were on the go from 2001 to 2014.

The  CD is a promo and has come to me without a front cover but as you can see I have managed to track one down.
As it is a promo there is the usual blurb pontificating as to how good it is. For example:
The danceable beats meld with catchy melodies built on themes both dark and seductive. Thematically, the songs are presented a individual and random parts of a larger story. The mood is onimous yet enticing;dangerous yet enchanting.
Lyrics explore revolution and struggle,actions and consequences, but also love and redemption. 
One can easily just bounce along on the infectious pop hooks. Dig a little deeper, however, and a larger story and unified themes beging to unfold.
Christ Almighty you would think that it was Pet Sounds or Sgt Pepper or something.

I'm not totally convinced. It may merit a second listen but it seems a bit samey in places. I do like track 9 the last and title song on the album which puts me in mind a little bid of Mt. Doubt. Sadly, I have just learned that they are calling it a day with frontman Leo Bargery going on to pursue new projects. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see them a couple of times and I will keep an eye out for more from Leo.


The Rosebuds -My Punishment For Fighting

The Rosebuds - Night of the Furies

4 comments:

  1. pleasant, blandly pleasant. Not a keeper

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, the best the Rosebuds got was previous album Birds Make Good Neighbors, particularly the song Blue Bird. One of my favorite tunes from that entire decade. Highly recommended. If I remember correctly, these two were a couple that split around the time of Night of the Furies but continued as a band. I can't help but think they lost something musically as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds Make Good Neighbours is a much better album than Night of the Furies, yet in spite of a couple of other quite decent tracks, Blue Bird towers over proceedings. Everything I ever bought or ever will buy by The Rosebuds is because of Blue Bird. It really is a phenomenal pop record - catchy, swinging and suffused with melancholy. I'm with Brian in calling it one of my favourite songs of the noughties.

    ReplyDelete