Search This Blog

Thursday 7 July 2022

Speedway

 



 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #29 - Genie in a Bottle/Save Yourself - Speedway

Despite the fact that I am still working my way through the piles of CDs generously provided by The Swede and the Dundee ones from my pal Euan I have been getting withdrawal symptoms given my recent lack of charity shop activity.

This was maybe rectified when I visited a second hand shop in my former stomping ground Mount Florida on the South Side of Glasgow which proudly claimed that it is not for profit. I have my doubts but the less cynical among you may be happy to put it down as charity.

Anyway I came away with 2 CDs for a pound the first of which was this CD single by Paisley band Speedway. Given that I already have a charity shop copy of their only album 2003's Save Yourself I bought it in the full knowledge that I may already have both tracks. It turns out that both tracks are on the album so it is going back. It was worth a punt though. They have appeared briefly on these pages before but never with either of these songs

It turns out that Genie in a Bottle is a cover of a song by Christina Aguilera. Who knew? Certainly not me. I was totally oblivious to that fact. Probably given that connection it was the most successful of the band's four singles  reaching number 10 in the UK singles charts.

If the band's singer sounds familiar that is because it is none other than Jill Jackson a subsequent Country and Torch Song singer who Rol is an admirer of.

Speedway -Genie in a Bottle

Speedway - Save Yourself

7 comments:

  1. Jill Jackson. I though you (and I) had two of her albums. Nope, that would be Julia Jacklin........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a Jill Jackson album

      Delete
    2. That is one more than me. There are no albums by any Jills on the shelves here

      Delete
  2. I was unaware of her former band. Unable to listen to the track right now, but I'm betting it's better than Christina's version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should ask George our resident Christina Aguilera expert!

      Delete
    2. Never mind, I listened to it now and it's much better.

      Don't want to interrupt George's beauty sleep.

      Delete
  3. I'd never heard of the band Speedway until now but their Genie In A Bottle cover is great, certainly trumps the original. I'm nabbing it to add to that list of covers that improve the original that I've always intended to make a playlist of, but never quite got around to.

    ReplyDelete