Search This Blog

Friday 29 July 2022

4AD -The Kim and Tanya Show

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #35  Various - 4AD Sampler Uncut

I was quite excited to spot this one. A sampler of music from the great 4AD label. It took me a wee while to find out some more information around this one but I eventually found out that it was a CD from Uncut magazine from November 1998. There is a stellar cast on the 19 songs as you can see above or in a bit more detail courtesy of Discogs

The first one that jumped out at me was former Throwing Muses and Belly singer, songwriter and guitarist Tanya Donelly with Lantern  a song from her 1997 debut solo album Lovesongs for Underdogs

Then along came This Mortal Coil with You & Your Sister which is essentially a beautiful duet between Tanya and Kim Deal.

I then wanted to feature Saints by The Breeders a band in which both Tanya and Kim appeared.

However my burning software never got any further than 60% probably because the CD is not in particularly good condition. Given that it was in the same shop as Mind Bomb which was in a similar condition it is highly likely that they were both handed in by the same person.

Obviously I didn't want to let you all down so I obtained a copy of Saints from an alternative source. Don't say I'm not good to you.



3 comments:

  1. That TMC track is gorgeous. Two of my favourite musicians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TheRobster's not wrong, that version of 'You & Your Sister' really is rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya could write great catchy pop riffs esp with Belly. Once saw her circa 93/94 at one of the Sheffield Uni venues though when she was in The Breeders and they were headlining, god they were ramshackle and terrible that night - even managed to ruin their best song, Cannonball. All in all probably the worst gig I've been to.The support act (I'm struggling to remember who they were) had had a minor hit with a track that featured in a top film of the time. They were pretty poor and I hated the track they were feted for anyway. As I say, my worst gig experience ever. At least she redeemed herself with Belly

    ReplyDelete