Search This Blog

Friday 15 July 2022

On the Buses - Charity Shop Excursions - Prestwick and Kilmarnock

 

He's off!

 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #31  - Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback

The first in an occassional series.

I first got my free bus pass almost exactly a year ago and one of my plans was to go on excursions throughout the country to explore various towns and their charity shops.

However to date apart from my recent Edinburgh trip and a visit to East Kilbride to get my phone fixed it has been used exclusively to get me in and out and out and about in Glasgow.

That all changed the other day when I caught the number 4 to Prestwick stopping off at Kilmarnock on the way back.I played safe as it is only a 70 mile  round journey plus I could get the bus from quite near my house rather than having to go into Buchanan bus station in the centre of  town.

There are three or four charity shops in the Ayrshire seaside town of  Prestwick but there were slim pickings to be had. Nevertheless, I managed to break my duck in Sue Ryder coming away with a couple of CDs

One was Jordan: The Comeback the 5th studio album by Prefab Sprout from 1990 on Kitchenware. It joins Steve McQueen and From Langley Park to Memphis on the shelves. With the possible exception of When Love Breaks Down the main man Paddy McAloon has never sounded better than on We Let the Stars Go.

An encouraging start. More to follow.

Prefab Sprout -We Let the Stars Go

Prefab Sprout -Carnival 2000


7 comments:

  1. Ah, bus trips can be so lovely. Especially if they're free! Good to know they can be fruitful too and look forward to more tales of your intrepid adventuring. Hope you didn't see Blakey on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a photo of you on your way to the bus-stop in Weegieland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In shorts no less. Summer has definitely come to Glasgow!

    I have yet to use my bus pass locally - very remiss of me. It was handy when we were in Edinburgh last November but didn't use it at all this last time - lots and lots of (enjoyable) walking instead.

    An encouraging start as you say. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent purchase. I look forward to more of your Bus Pass Adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me feel ashamed for not getting the most out of my own free bus pass - I had the best of intentions when I first got it. Let me turn that shame into inspiration. I'll report back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gimme just under a year and I'll willingly join you on the bus pass adventures.

    Jordan The Comeback is a fabulous album. Had the joy of seeing Prefab Sprout on the promotional tour at the Barrowlands in 1990, supported by The Trash Can Sinatras. Still got the zipper top I bought instead of a t-shirt, albeit it hasn't fitted me for decades!

    ReplyDelete