Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 July 2022

Swedefest - Welcome

 


The next instalment of Swedefest is Welcome the third and final album  from 1992 (on Frontier Records) by Portland,Oregon garage band Dharma Bums

The personnel at the time were Jeremy Wilson (vocals), Eric Lovre (guitar), John Moen (drums) and  Jim Talstra (bass). It took me a bit of searching to find out who was playing what.

Allmusic write that Welcome consists of intriguing slices of moody jangle pop and country-tinged alt-rock that are all the more refreshing for the fact that none of them particularly sound like REMThey must have been listening to a different band to me as I think that in places they could pass as an R.E.M. tribute band. For the record sounding like R.E.M. is not a bad thing.

They also reference moody jangly pop, country-tinged alt -rock and power pop all of which I kinda get.

I wasn't too sure after the first listen but the second time around suggests that it will probably be a keeper.

I'm only guessing but I think that they are probably named after the Jack Kerouac novel as opposed to the women's yoga and performance activewear.

Dharma Bums - First Time/Last Time

Dharma Bums -Wreck Around Town



4 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know why you're such an expert on women's yoga and performance activewear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of these guys, but they seem to be up my alley. Have to say I'm enjoying Swedefest. Thanks, fellas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was another of those bands I liked one album by and then bought more, none of which really clicked for me in the same way. I'm glad you're enjoying it CC, I had an inkling that it might be more up your street.

    ReplyDelete