Search This Blog

Saturday 3 April 2021

That Summer! Side A


After the minimum of persuasion I'm continuing my Saturday New Wave Compilation series with an absolute cracker.

That Summer! is a 1979 soundtrack album from the film of the same name. The film by all accounts is an absolute shocker.Fortunately I have not seen it but it seems to be as bad as the music is good.

I had a copy of the soundtrack which I played to death and was subsequently went missing. Jamie very kindly stepped in and provided my with a copy. When I featured this before it was well received especially by Brian who is even more passionate about it that I am.

Enough of that - to the music. Same rules apply. Only artists and/or songs who have neved graced these pages  before will feature. This time around it is a two parter - side A and side B

This series is proving useful  for spotlighted songs by Ian Dury & the Blockheads which I have been criminally negligent in ignoring before.The opening track Sex & Drugs & Rock'n'Roll  deserves to have featured before.

The Zones, along with Mink De Ville , were probably the least well known act on the album . A Scottish band formed from the remnants of PVC2 after Midge Ure left to join the Rich Kids with Glen Matlock. They make their debut here with New Life.The split up shortly thereafter with members going on to join Endgames and the Skids.

We finish today with one of the greatest songs of all time. You will be suprised that I have never featured it before. Well I have sort of with the Peel Session version. Better late than never

Side B next week

Ian Dury & the Blockheads - Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll

Zones - New Life

The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet

 

5 comments:

  1. Nice album, shame about the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film's up on Youtube at the moment if anybody does want to see it. I wouldn't recommend it myself either even though there's not a bad song on the soundtrack.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great soundtrack - I'd forgotten the Zones completely!
    Have never seen the film but perhaps I should just to fill in the holes! I read that Ray Winstone's character was sort of meant to be the same one he played in 'Scum' (having now been released from Borstal) which seemed a very hard-hitting film at the time.
    And this reminds me that around the same time I once got off with a skinhead who told me he was on leave from Borstal for the weekend! Ooh, I knew how to live...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choosing Another Girl, Another Planet as one of the greatest songs of all time is a no brainer in my mind.
    Mink DeVille is a band from my formative musical years, having seen them in small venues in my late teens. Willy DeVille is like a character only David Lynch could have come up with, but didn't. He's a larger than life amalgamation of a Soul Man, Blues Man and Rockabilly Rock Star, while being as unique as you could never even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a big smile to see this perfect piece of plastic highlighted. As I have said many times, this was the most important album of my youth. I went on to explore every band In greater detail which spawned other fascinating related bands. The Nick Lowe/Costello connections to Stiff bands, Pretenders, the Specials, Squeeze the Bluebells and on and on kept me busy for years.

    ReplyDelete