Search This Blog

Friday 9 April 2021

Covered by The Polecats

 


The Polecats were one of the new wave of Rockabilly bands who shot to prominence in the late 70's alongside the likes of The Stray Cats and The Shakin' Pyramids. They also had  Boz Boorer the future guitarist, musical director and co-songwriter of right wing lunatic  M*******y within their midst.

Although the wrote  many of their own songs they also were not averse to a cover or two of famous songs by much more famous acts.

The first two were taken from their 1981 album Polecats Are Go! on the Mercury label with the first getting to number  35 in the UK singles charts and the second  reaching number 53. The third MP3 was a 2017 single on Raucous Records. My copy has an Anti Nazi League symbol on it suggesting that it might also have featured on a compilation somewhere.I won't insult your intelligence  by telling you who sang the originals.

Seeing as it's Friday and I like you, you are also getting an Altered Images cover of song two. Don't say I'm not good to you

The Polecats - John I'm Only Dancing

The Polecats - Jeepster

The Polecats - What Do I Get? 

Altered Images - Jeepster

2 comments:

  1. It's a rare thing for me to be the first to post on one of your threads. As (ill) luck should have it though and holding to the principle 'If you've nothing positive to say, say nothing' I'll end my contribution here.

    I did like the Stray Cats though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only song by these guys that gets airplay over here is Make A Circuit With Me. You hear it on '80s alternative stations fairly regularly. I have to admit I kind of like that one. As you say, their covers of Bowie and Bolan were minor hits in the UK, but they aren't doing much for me. I will say at least they tried to do them in their own style.

    ReplyDelete