Search This Blog

Friday 1 July 2016

Vintage Country Vinyl - Jim Reeves



It has been a pretty traumatic and tumultuous week so how better to celebrate it's conclusion than with the dulcet tones of Gentleman Jim himself - Mr Jim Reeves
On RCA Victor from 1963  according to the sleevenotes he has never sounded better than this appealing collection of ballads. It is so smooth, sentimental and dreamy that one wishes this man Reeves would just sing on and on and on.

If a charity shop stocks vinyl records it is a physical impossibility that there won't be at least one by Gentleman Jim.
This is one of two I liberated from a charity shop in St Andrews.The other may well feature further down the line.

More VCV next Friday

Jim Reeves - Just Out of Reach

Jim Reeves - I Never Pass There Any More

12 comments:

  1. Bloody brilliant. Impossible not to like! Toptastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Childhood memories... my dad was a big Jim Reeves fan. Feeling all warm and fuzzy now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good god, I didn't think this week could get any worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we to assume you're not in The Jim Reevs Fan Club, Drew?

      Delete
  4. A bit of a Labour Party type schism emerging here I feel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit it, I was already to join the naysayers, but having listened to these tunes I too am bathed in that warm fuzzy glow of nostalgia and sentimentality. Not sure I'd actually shell out one of Jim's LP's though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you with me when I bought the Jim Reeves 6LP box-set in Derby for £3?

      Delete
  6. Re Jim Reeves: One of me dad's favourite lines was "If you haven't got owt positive to say then say nowt" I haven't so I'm saying nowt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old Tige!

    Jim Reeves just reminds me of my days in hospital radio. Not a week went by without someone requesting I Love You Because.

    ReplyDelete