Search This Blog

Friday 29 July 2016

Vintage Country Vinyl - Glen Campbell


It's Glen Campbell this week folks but with a twist in that there are no Jimmy Webb songs featured.
I've previously posted him singing some Jimmy Webb numbers  which was very well received.
It is an undisputed fact that his music is not in the same league when Jimmy does not feature.
A bit like Morecambe without Wise or for the younger readers Ant without Dec

I've two Glen Campbells on vinyl the imaginatively titled Glen Campbell's Greatest Hits and The Glen Campbell Album. When you stray away from the hits things can become pretty ropey pretty quickly - for instance his versions of My Way, Bridge over Troubled Waters and You'll never Walk Alone are best avoided.

I'm experimenting today with Google Drive - let my know what you think

More VCV next Friday


Glen Campbell -Dreams of the Everyday Housewife


Glen Campbell & Bobbie Gentry -All I Have to do is Dream

11 comments:

  1. If this googledrive thing is mean to allow you to play the files directly I can't get it to do so. Someone else uses it too. I hate it with a passion. What's wrong with zippy? You get the added bonus of some interesting adverts!
    That first Glen Campbell track is not bad, but the second one I couldn't get to 40 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've come across Googledrive and it seemed to work fine for me, downloading and playing. You're spot on about dear old Glen. When he's good (ie singing Jimmy) he's very very good, elsewhere it's a bit more hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will try Googledrive for a couple of days and take soundings. Happy to return to Zippy if need be. I know George is missing the adverts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ant without Dec? How about Ant & Dec without Ant or Dec? How much nicer a place the world would be if that happened...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the dubious pleasure of listening to him perform 'Amazing Grace' on the bagpipes in the Royal Albert Hall. Not good, but worth enduring for the rest of the show which was great. And the other fellow on the bill - someone called Johnny Cash - wasn't too shabby either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure whether Googldrive is only easy accessible by those using a Google browser. Can non Google users please advise
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Firefox, CC, so no problems with that browser.

      Delete
    2. I use Firefox too and am up to my eyes in Adblocking plugins, virus checking software and lord knows what else. No problem with Googledrive here.

      Delete
  8. Two great Glen Campbell tracks would be "Little Toy Trains" & "Christmas is for Christmas". Very standard Christmas tracks with beautiful arrangements and that silky voice. Nice. Check it out. Glen always makes me nostalgic so I can't listen sometimes. "Wichita Lineman" is classic. I can still see & hear the transistor radio that played that song over and over. Simply beautiful. Perhaps its already been mentioned that Glen was a session player on many hits and was a Beach Boy for awhile. He also did work with the wonderful & so undervalued Jackie DeShannon.
    Glen has some real rock & roll creds despite he Rhinestone Cowboy crap. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Glen's voice but it is the Jimmy Webb songs all the way for me. Best to avoid his versions of My Way etc as you say. Didn't really work for him or whenever Elvis tried them either. Googledrive works fine for me!

    ReplyDelete