Search This Blog

Sunday 10 July 2016

Some Sunday Jazzy Soul



George's recent banging on about I Can't Write Left Handed had me reaching for the shelves for a record library sale purchase The Best of Bill Withers - Lovely Day.
Now Lovely Day is a god awful song and one that the skip track function on a CD player was surely invented for .
There are also another two or three on the album which are best avoided some of which get decidely twiddly in places.
It is a curious mixture in that there are also some pretty good ones in there also but obviously none in the same league as I Can't Write Left Handed which I have previously featured.
These two are quite tasty.
Like Jez I will avoid the joke about the duck and the microwave.

More Soul next Sunday


Bill Withers - Who Is He (And What Is He To You?)

Bill Withers - Hope She'll Be Happier (Live)

7 comments:

  1. That George does have a point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..........that was me, could you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never had time to guess before you fessed up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill Withers induction into the (dreaded) RockNRoll Hall of Fame truly confounded me. I knew of his more popular songs and their incessant cover versions, but they seem no more notable than any other singer-songwriter. I'm aware that the RNRHOF is nothing but a bunch of old paunchy white dudes that pontificate rock music like baseball nerds or pokemon collectors. For years I have been trying to get them to nominate Jackie DeShannon and of course the seminal Big Star into the recognition. But nada. Instead they blow one out for Chicago & well...Bill Withers. With all due respect, besides a few popular songs, what is his true contribution to the influence of rock music? Nice tracks, but eh. James Taylor? Bobby Womack? How about the great John Prine? But Bill Withers? I know I know I know I know I know I know...... Sorry. I just had to blow that one out. Happy Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to disagree there Kevin. (given CC's initial comments that could come as no surprise). He's not all Lovely Day, as you know, and that Live At Carnegie Hall is brilliant all the way through (barring Lean On Me which is terrible)

      Delete
  5. Thanks George. I'll check the live one out. I could be wrong. It's known to happen.

    ReplyDelete