Search This Blog

Monday 25 July 2016

Jesse Winchester


I was vaguely familiar with the name Jesse Winchester plus a couple of blogging colleagues whose judgement I trust paid generous tributes when he passed on in April 2014 at the age of 69.
However I was not really that familiar with his music.
That changed recently when car trouble led to an unscheduled visit to the library.
I came away with  A Reasonable Amount of Trouble his final studio album recorded and completed shortly before his death.
And what a terrific record it is.
I can safely say that it will not be the last of his which will find it's way onto the shelves

Jesse Winchester - A Little Louisiana

Jesse Winchester - Ghosts

4 comments:

  1. A criminally overlooked artist, with a quietly fascinating history. Lovely selections today CC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chers, Chic. I have some of his early stuff but missed this album at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I have too much time on my hands in the depths of winter I like to search covers of songwriters I admire. I was able to put together 2 discs of Jesse Winchester songs. You get George Strait, Elvis Costello, James Taylor, Roseanne Cash, Emmylou Harris and (the great) Lucinda Williams. Now that's a tribute. On Elvis Costello's show years ago Jesse Winchester sang his beautiful "Sham-A-Ling-Ding-Dong" and put Neko Case & Elvis in tears. Check it out. Jesse Winchester had to live in Canada for many years avoiding the Vietnam draft until I think Jimmy Carter offered him clemency. A truly beautiful, honest American songwriter. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for this kp.Even more reasons for me to explore the back catalogue in more detail

      Delete