Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 March 2015

The Blues Collection - Sonny Boy Williamson II

II

Long suffering readers of this blog may recall that between Christmas 2013 and January 2014 I picked up 39 CDs from the Blues Collection in my local Charity Shop
The Blues Collection was a magazine that was produced between 1993 and 1997 with a CD provided with each of the 90 editions.
I'm happy to report that I have just acquired number 40 in the shape of Nine Below Zero by Sony Boy Williamson II
Born Alex Ford his manager billed him him as Sonny Boy Williamson in an attempt to cash in on the success of  the fellow harmonica player of the same name (born John Lea Curtis Williamson) who died in 1948.
In a career spanning from the mid 30s to the mid 60s he played with everyone from Robert Johnson through to Eric Clapton.
I've chosen the title track Nine Below Zero as I saw the band of the same name doing some great concerts in the late 70s/early 80s. I don't have any of their stuff as I suspect they were  better as a live as opposed to studio band.
The second track Born Blind I chose because it is very good.

Sonny Boy Williamson II -Nine Below Zero

Sonny Boy Williamson II -Born Blind

2 comments:

  1. He was born in Tallahatchie County...the one with the bridge and he's got a marker around Tutwiler. Pure grain Delta there. He was good too.

    ReplyDelete