Search This Blog

Sunday 17 August 2014

Southern Soul Sunday 46



As a surprisingly anonymous recent commentator recently  kindly pointed out I am clearly incapable of an original thought.
It will not, therefore, come as a surprise to you that I am again revisiting an artist who has previously featured on Southern Soul Sunday.
Candi Staton graced the pages of SSS 9 back in December 2013 with a cover of Mary Gauthier's Mercy Now and her disco classic Young Hearts Run Free.
This time round we are going further back in her long and illustrious career with a couple of early recordings from her FAME Years.
First up is I'm Just a Prisoner (Of Your Good Lovin') a George Jackson and Eddie Harris song from 1969.
We then fast forward to 1972 with the self penned The Thanks I Get For Loving You.
Classic Southern Soul.
More unoriginal thought tomorrow

Candi Staton - I'm Just a Prisoner (Of Your Good Lovin')

Candi Staton - The Thanks I Get For Loving You

5 comments:

  1. I don't think that it is possible to tire of Candi Staton's voice, simply sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candi Staton again. Souther Soul Sunday Again. Haven't you got any original ideas?.
    Yours sincerely
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great Sunday Soul tune from the inimitable Candi Staton. As Drew says, sublime voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I don't need to repeat my undying love of Candi - oh I just have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think that anonymous ever gets tired of having to come up with original ideas all of the time. Sometimes plagiarism's just easier. All bloggers know this. Many moons ago I wrote a dissertation entitled "Plagiarism or Eclecticism: A Study of Alasdair Gray's Lanark and it's influences for 6th year studies English but never found enough source material to steal from to complete it.

    ReplyDelete