Search This Blog

Friday 22 March 2024

A Return to Choctaw Ridge

 


When I converted the great demo of Joanne by Mike Nesmith  which featured the other day at Martin's place from video to MP3 for inclusion in my 2024 memory stick the blurb said that it was taken from the above Ace compilation

Now I have the said album Choctaw Ridge (New Fables of the American South 1968-1973) and was pretty sure that it wasn't on it. It wasn't as this track list  confirms.

It doesn't really matter as it is still a great song. I'm a bit pleased  though that for once my memory hadn't let me down.

I have featured the album here once before when I featured 3 of the 24 tracks. Plenty more to chose from then.

I'm going to start with the ladies who contribute to about a quarter of the tunes. Most folk, including me, would be struggling to name a song by Jeannie C Riley other than Harper Valley PTA. This one, The Dark Side of Dallas is a tad more darker

Mr Walker, It's All Over by Billie Jo Spears on the other hand has more than a touch of Harper Valley about it.

As with the album there is only one way to finish and that is with the Silver Fox himself Charlie Rich with the epic Feel Like Going Home. You wont hear a better song today

Jeannie C Riley - The Dark Side of Dallas

Billie Jo Spears - Mr Walker, It's All Over

Charlie Rich - Feel Like Going Home

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to disagree, Rol has posted a better song (Mike Pedicin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to contradict a contrarian but I will note that the demo version of 'Feel Like Going Home', which is just Charlie at the piano, is even better than this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just started working at a charity shop in town CC. By now I think I know what kind of thing you look out for so I'll be checking out what comes into the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - it will be good to have someone on "the inside"

      Delete
    2. Alyson, if you happen to get a job lot of CDs from Sao Tome e Principe please let me know, I'm struggling to find much for my African Odyssey series. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Deja vu…

    http://www.johnmedd.com/2017/07/rich-pickings.html?m=1

    JM

    ReplyDelete