Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 March 2024

Brothers Beyond

 


Last Wednesday saw the conclusion of the 20 week Brothers and Sisters series.

Fairly early on it became apparent that I had far more music with Brothers in the title than with Sisters. This led to me scrabbling about for songs by Sisters bands while having to miss out on some  Brothers bands who deserved to feature.

Here are a few Brothers who were not in the first 20 that I initially jotted down 

The first band descend from royalty. Christiaan, Justin and James known collectively as the Webb Brothers are the songs of songwriting legend Jimmy Webb and Patsy Sullivan. They are best known for their 2000 psychedelic indie country album Maroon. They were like an American Cosmic Rough Riders (which is a good thing). I saw them play in Austin around then.

Rather that a transatlantic journey I only had to travel to Glasgow's Merchant City to see the Hacienda Brothers. An Americana band fronted by Dave Gonzales and the late great Chris Gaffney they released an excellent self titled album in 2005.

To my great regret I have never seen the American band Radar Bros. whose albums in the UK were released on Glasgow's Chemikal Underground label. I only belatedly discovered them in 2020 when I picked up their 2002 album And The Surrounding Mountains in a charity shop in Muir of Ord.




And especially for Rol






4 comments:

  1. I saw the Webb Brothers playing with their Dad in 2009 when they had a joint album out called "Cottonwood Farm". They mostly played his songs, which is fair enough, but the few songs written by the Brothers weren't out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wha? I have the three Webb Brothers albums, but I was completely unaware of the album they did with their dad. Going to find this right away. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Jimmy Webb around the same time as Ernie, though I don't remember his sons in support, and like Brian I wasn't aware of Cottonwood Farm. It's gone on the list.

    Meanwhile, I can die happy, knowing that through my good work, the world will not be allowed to forget either the Brothers Goss or those Beyond chumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the 3 tracks I thought it was a shoe in for the Radar Bros Shovelling Sons (you must double the consonant Americans!) but the Hacienda Brothers give them a run for their money.

    ReplyDelete