Search This Blog

Friday 8 March 2024

Holy Heathens and the Old Green Man

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #19 - Waterson Carthy - Holy Heathens and the Old Green Man

It's Folk Friday

Now I like Folk Music as much as the next person, probably more. I am also an admirer of the work of Martin Carthy, Norma Waterson and Eliza Carthy  in preserving old traditional songs and bringing them to a new audience. Martin's Famous Flower of Serving Men is a particular favourite of mine.

From 2006 on the Topic label (where else?) Holy Heathens and the Old Green Man  despite its title has a Christian flavour and is an album of traditional  and ritual magical songs.

Along with Tim Van Eyken they are joined  by a vocal trio The Devil's Interval

The album was critically acclaimed but for me I'm not so sure. It puts me in mind of gents in Morris Dancing attire with a finger in one ear dancing round a Maypole on one leg. That is not necessarily a good thing.

It may well benefit from another hearing but as things stand it is not a keeper.


Waterson Carthy - Jack Frost

Waterson Carthy - Time to Remember the Poor

6 comments:

  1. yes, finger in ear, or sat on three-legged stool, hand over ear, head bent, putting on that peculiar english-folkie voice. Total bobbins. I will, though, listen to your choices with my usual open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is going round a maypole on one leg technically classified as dancing and not, for example, hopping?

    I saw a one-armed Morris dancer once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A one-legged one would be more impressive!

      Delete
  3. Mmm. I know what you're saying about 'finger in the ear' folk music and such stereotypes but for me these two songs didn't fall into that category. I liked them both. They came in at about 4 and a half minutes each which is manageable. Many folk songs have numerous verses and do go on a bit. Had to grimace though at the last line of that 2nd track which (in Tory Budget week) went "the rich must remember the poor". Hollow laughter all round.

    ReplyDelete