Search This Blog

Sunday 17 March 2024

Hong Kong Songs

 


Our friends from Singapore appear to have handed over the bot baton to their colleagues from Hong Kong. It makes the stats look more acceptable but it can be pretty annoying.

On a more positive note it got me thinking about Hong Kong songs. The obvious one immediately sprung to mind but I was quite surprised that I actually had a good few more. 

Let's start with reggae band The Ethiopians who appear to be having a bout of Hong Kong Flu. Let's hope they get better soon.

I'm not sure that Hong Kong would be the first place you would think about when it comes to Hillbillies unless of course you were Clarence White.

Next up are Leicester indie band Cornershop who give us the Hong Kong Book of Kung Fu from their 1995 album Woman's Gotta Have It.

The obvious one? It is of course Hong Kong Garden by Siouxsie and the Banshees which almost certainly have been cancelled were it released today.

Something else which would probably be cancelled would be Hong Kong Phooey the  great cartoon featuring Penry the Mild Mannered Janitor. For years I was under the misapprehension that he was called Henry

Ethiopeans -Hong Kong Flu

Clarence White -Hong Kong Hillbilly

Cornershop - Hong Kong Book of Kung Fu

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Hong Kong Garden





5 comments:

  1. Nothing from Hong Kong at my place. Still getting the bots from Singapore and, for about a week, Virginia (although they seem to have given up now)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penry? Are you sure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about Hong Kong Garden, a single I loved so much at the time but I just didn't think about the lyrics then. And call me pedantic but that line "leave your yens on the counter please" also irks me alongside the other more obvious stuff, I think they stopped using yen as currency after the end of WWII and Japanese occupation. Still it was a good tune!

    ReplyDelete