Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 March 2024

Buffalos of the Springfield Variety

 


I was playing Retrospective - The Best of Buffalo Springfield over Sunday Brunch and felt that it was probably worthy of its 5 or 6 yearly outing here.

Before Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Crosby Stills and Nash and even Crosby Stills Nash and Young there was Buffalo Springfield. They were only on the go from 1966 to 1968 (with the obligatory reunion from 2010 to 2012) but they set the bar for what was to follow.

In addition to Neil Young and Stephen Stills they also included  Richie Furay, Bruce Palmer and Dewey Martin.

The Retrospective was originally from 1969 and therefore still fresh. Here is For What It's Worth (Stills), Broken Arrow (Young) and I Am a Child (Young). A perfect template for Country Rock and with the the exception of Sweetheart of the Rodeo by The Byrds never bettered.

Quality

Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Buffalo Springfield - Broken Arrow

Buffalo Springfield - I Am a Child

5 comments:

  1. Poor Richie Furay, the bus of Buffalo Springfield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might have to explain that one to me Ernie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have shunned his worthy tunes for other more glamorous songwriters, in the same way as the humble bus etc etc...

      Delete
    2. I see
      I might be coming round to buses for a particular reason

      Delete
  3. I have this box set, need to dig out and revisit

    ReplyDelete