Search This Blog

Saturday 9 March 2024

Saturday Shuffle 44

 


During the week I charged the Gym MP3 player and took the opportunity to add a good few new tracks. Therefore this series could well run and run. I'll leave it for you to decide as to whether that is a good thing or not.

The first song this week is from Canadian Americana artist Neko Case. In California is from an 8 track EP called Canadian Amp  released on the Lady Pilot label in 2001. It follows on from the success of her first two albums on Bloodshot 1997's The Virginian and 2000's Furnace Room Lullaby both released under the name Neko Case and her Boyfriends. I was a huge fan around then.

The next song Suspect Device by Stiff Little Fingers was first released as a single back in 1979. I have it on the 2001 re-issue of their 1979 debut album Inflammable Material. That would certainly get the legs pumping.

We have had Americana and Punk so lets round things of with some Sanctified Soul. In the 1960's rhythm and blues music broke out of the churches and went into the night clubs, on the radio and permeated throughout black America's soul. In 2000 the great Ace amassed a compilation of 26 such songs under the title Sanctified Soul. Cheer Up (Daddy's Coming Home) by Rudy Mockabee is the 25th.

More assorted nonsense, sanctified or otherwise, next Saturday

Neko Case - In California

Stiff Little Fingers - Suspect Device

Rudy Mockabee - Cheer Up (Daddy's Coming Home)

6 comments:

  1. I was a big fan of early Neko as well, but she would also feature on any list of my most disappointing gigs. On the occasion I went to see her several albums down the line she was barely even dialing it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one time I saw her she was struggling with a cold

      Delete
  2. I've found an old list suggesting that I have actually seen her on four occasions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a few Stiff Little Fingers songs worm their way into my subconscious lately... I'm now convinced they're responsible for Green Day's whole act.

    ReplyDelete