Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 March 2024

Time (The Relevator)

 



The Missing Haul - Gillian Welsh - Time (The Relevator)

I’m not having much joy in terms of Charity Shop purchases of late.

Time then to adopt Plan B with a trip to Missing Records to take advantage of their 3 for £5 selections. Another benefit of this is that there is far more fairly decent Americana on offer than you average Charity shop.

On my latest trip I hit the jackpot at the start of my browsing when I stumbled across Time (The Relevator) by Gillian Welsh -  From 2001 and on the Alcony label it was her third studio album and up until now the only one of hers that I didn't have in some shape or form.

And what a record it is. Quite possible her best. The critics seem to agree giving it a whopping 86/100 on the Metacritic Aggregator. Paste go as far as to name it as number 7 in their top 50 albums of the decade. Not bad for £2 or £1.67 if you buy in bulk.

I'm not sure as to why it has taken me so long to get it but it was definitely worth the wait. The music is sparse but haunting. She truly is a unique talent.

My external CD drive is playing silly buggers so I have had to access these files via other sources.


Gillian Welch - Revelator

Gillian Welch - Elvis Presley Blues

5 comments:

  1. Agree. Think it is the pick of a very good bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find one of these mythical "three for a fiver" shops. Charity pickings have been very sparse round here of late too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair play to you CC for delving into the copious amounts of CDs on display at Missing.

    Rol - I can assure you that there is nothing mythical about the shop and its wares. My only grumble is that where it used to be equally a fabulous a spot to pick up well-priced second-hand vinyl, the prices nowadays seem to be akin to Discog averages. The only advantage being I'd save on P&P.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I was disappointed with the vinyl prices

      Delete
  4. Gillian Welch has merely been a name to me in the CD racks. I've nothing by her and that was unlikely to change until I listened to your link to Revelator. Such a great track which I've downloaded. I rather feel now that there's nothing of hers that could remotely match it so I should probably leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete