Search This Blog

Monday 18 March 2024

Steve Harley R.I.P.

 


It was sad to read over the weekend of the death of Steve Harley aged just 73. His real name was Stephen Malcolm Ronald Nice but I suppose that Steve Nice was not as edgy and poppy as Steve Harley.

He was no age at all when Cockney Rebel became one of the stalwarts of the Glam Rock scene in the early to mid 1970s. They are probably best remembered for Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) which reached number one in 1975 but they had plenty of good songs around then although their popularity dwindled in the 80s.

I bought the 1977 album Face to Face - A Live Recording for 50p in a Library Sale in the late 80s/early 90s and it remains one of the best live albums in my collection. Sebastian is playing as I type.

Rest easy Steve and thanks for the music.


Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Mr Soft

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - (I Believe) Love is a Prima Donna

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Sebastian

1 comment:

  1. Very sad news indeed. I always loved him and Cockney Rebel because they were a part of my musical education a very long time ago. Fine words, Stevie

    ReplyDelete