Search This Blog

Thursday 28 March 2024

Townes

 


The Missing Haul - Steve Earle  - Townes

I used to be a fanatical fan of Steve Earle who I saw on multiple occasions and would buy his albums on vinyl and then on CD often on the day they were released.

He has released 21 studio albums and I have the first 10 on either vinyl or CD (with a couple on both) up to and including 2002's Jerusalem. Thereafter he slipped from near the top of my radar and I contented myself with burns/downloads of CDs more often than not from the library. I probably have about half a dozen or so including his 13th Townes from 2009 which was released on New West Records

It is well known that Steve was a friend and huge fan of Townes who he considered to be his mentor. There is of course his famous quote Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

It is also the first in a trilogy of artists who inspired him the others being Guy from 2019 paying tribute to Guy Clark and Jerry Jeff from 2022 referencing Jerry Jeff Walker .

I had this in my hand as part of the 3 for £5 deal. I thought I had put it back and replaced it with something else given I had a burn of it but no I hadn't. Still I am happy to have the upgrade  on CD and it will now replace the burn on the Americana shelves.







3 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph describes my relationship with Steve exactly. I still keep an eye out for him but we're not as close as we were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be quite a few who are the same. I don't hear much variety in some albums

      Delete
  2. I was much more aware of Steve Earle in the 80s mainly thanks to Andy Kershaw I suppose - I have his Guitar Town and Copperhead Road albs and the Angry Young Man best of from '99. Since then not much really although I heard the occasional track here and there. Loved the Loretta track you posted and will look out for the Townes album

    ReplyDelete