Search This Blog

Friday 29 March 2024

Sheffield Steel

 

The Sheffield Nativity



On Monday I had the enormous pleasure of meeting up with Spence from Sheffield our regular Friday night commentator.

Together with his family he had, for a birthday treat, enjoyed hospitality on his first visit to see his beloved Scottish team Stenhousemuir at Ochilview. Unfortunately for them it was a nil-nil draw with Peterhead but it seems that they had a great time no doubt comforted by the fact that Stennie are still a stick on for promotion.

Thereafter he and his wife Cathy spent a couple of days in Glasgow and I caught up with a him for a coffee. Unfortunately it was chucking it down. It is Raintown after all.

We spend a very pleasant hour or so gabbing away like old friends with the majority of the chat centring around football, blogging and music in general before venturing back out to the rain.

I said I would feature some songs today by bands from his home city. 

I hope you enjoy them Spence.

ABC - The Look of Love

Pulp - Do You Remember the First Time?

Human League - The Lebanon

Longpigs - On and On

Joe Cocker - Delta Lady


5 comments:

  1. The pleasure was entirely mine Stevie. I did at times feel like a pesky journalist firing probing impertinent questions at you about your blogging modus operandi and how you stored and arranged your album/CD library at home - so much neater and organised than my incontinent sprawl I have to say. Great choice of Sheffield band tracks here. I'm not so familiar with the Longpigs but know much more of Richard Hawley's solo stuff. Arctic Monkeys and Milburn would be shaking a fist at you for not including them as would Dave Berry - although he's in the ark the last I heard! We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Falkirk and Glasgow and Missing Records is definitely on my list for a much longer visit the next time I'm in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear of another meet-up in the "real world" and glad Spence enjoyed his time north of the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff all round!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly as Alyson has said!!! It's always a great joy to eventually meet blogging friends in the actual flesh - it's certainly always been my experience that they prove to be are every bit as wonderful, friendly and entertaining as you could wish for.

    ReplyDelete