Search This Blog

Thursday 21 March 2024

The Home Nations

 


New Series Alert

I have been stuck for new series of late and this was all I could come up with. Any suggestions are welcome (yes Ernie I know, buses!)

I don't follow rugby but I believe that the Four Nations is now the Six Nations. As I have only a few songs from France and none from Italy that was never going to be an option.

I am restricting myself to what are known as the Home Nations - ie The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. United Kingdom? There is a misnomer if ever there was one

The idea is to feature a track from each of the four nations until I get stuck - most probably at Northern Ireland with Wales as a close second. For the avoidance of bias I will list the countries in alphabetical order - so England first as per usual!

Plenty to choose from obviously but let's start with the Only Band that Matters with This is England which is probably the only good track off their final album Cut the Crap.

The Undertones are perhaps the most obvious band to choose when it comes to Northern Ireland but I am going for Jimmy Jimmy rather than the more obvious Teenage Kicks.

For my own country I am going for The Proclaimers who don't really want to be part of the Home Nations as the song Cap in Hand would suggest.

From a Welsh point of view maybe Manic Street Preachers feel the same with the warning that If You Tolerate This Your Children Will be Next.

More Home Nations songs next week while stock lasts


The Clash - This is England

The Undertones - Jimmy Jimmy

The Proclaimers - Cap in Hand

Manic Street Preachers -If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next


PS - I am conscious that the crest on the picture covers the whole of Ireland

6 comments:

  1. No mention of the B word today, but I was surprised to learn that Frankie Valli and the gang are now playing rugby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now amended so no one will know what you are talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably don't want to hear this, but when I was staying in Edinburgh back in 2012 the English rugby team was at the same hotel and a nicer bunch of lads you wouldn't find. Perhaps because they were coming off a big win the night before. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wales wins for me today, with N.I. a close second.

    ReplyDelete