Search This Blog

Friday 27 August 2021

Beeswing

 


I've just finished the book Beeswing ( and not Beeswax as I inadvertantly called it before) by Richard Thomson and an excellent read it is too.
As the sub-title Fairport,Folk Rock and Finding My Voice 1967 -75 suggests it focusses on his early life and the early part of his career. Although it doesn't directly say so it also suggests that there may well be a sequel somewhere down the line.
As Waterstones put it it  vividly captures the life of one of Britain's most significant artists during a heady period of creative intensity, in a world on the cusp of change.
I have fairly recently featured Fairport Convention and one of the albums he recorded with his then wife Linda as part of a Folk Monday series.

This time round I will feature the man himself. The book includes recollections of dreams and also the lyrics of some songs which feature in the book so you are getting a couple of them.

There is also an amusing anecdote where Richard and colleagues are in an American airport where they overhear the folk in the next booth  being derogatory about the length of their hair and their dress sense. Richard recognises them as Buck Owens and his Buckaroos who he had albums by. He then goes up to them saying how he admires their work, asking for their autographs and making them feel distinctly uncomfortable!

Recommended

Richard Thomson - Turning of the Tide

Richard Thomson - Beeswing

Buck Owens & his Buckaroos - Waitin' in Your Welfare Line


3 comments:

  1. This is on my reading list.

    By the way, I just bought the first 5 Dwight Yoakam albums on your recommendation... so they better be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for Beeswing in paperback - can't afford your fancy hardback prices! As for the track itself, it's one of those songs I have to limit myself to listening to once in a while to preserve it's delicious delicate beauty - too many listens makes it ubiquitous. As for Buck Owens, I snaffled your download and discovered I'd also nabbed his version of Lady Madonna from you last year. Playing it again now I wonder what I was thinking of!!

    ReplyDelete