Search This Blog

Thursday 27 May 2021

The Hissing of Summer Lawns

 


 2021 Charity Shop Purchases 19 - Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns

A few years ago I picked up a Box Set from the Library (when they were actually open and still did that sort of thing) containing the first ten Joni Mitchell albums. They were duly copied.
Since than we have been gradually upgrading when charity purchases allow.
The latest acquisition is her seventh album The Hissing of Summer Lawns an album from 1975 on the Asylum label. Only Song to a Seagull , Hejira, Don Juan's Wreckless Daughters and Coart and Spark to go.

An album which was released to mixed reviews its reputation has gradually improved over the years although I would maybe not go as far as music writer Howard Sounes who feels that it is her masterpiece and who compares it to Blood on the Tracks.
Jason Akeny from Allmusic feels that it is an an adventurous work that remains among her most difficult records which has a strange and beautiful fusion of jazz and shimmering avant pop.







 


9 comments:

  1. I agree with you CC. It is a good album but personally I would put 'Blue' (obviously), 'Hejira' and maybe 'Ladies of the Canyon' ahead of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs CC is in the Blue and I am in the Ladies of the Canyon camp

      Delete
  2. Court And Spark and Blue are my favourites, but there are some great songs on Hissing of Summer Lawns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fond memories of this album and it was the first one of hers I owned, so still my favourite. These songs takes me back to my student flat in Aberdeen with its 1960s decor. No Main Streets here though and if you'd tried kissing on Union Street in winter, with the wind coming off the North Sea, you'd have got chapped lips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday's offerings are a million billion times better than this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about opinions dear boy opinions

      Delete
    2. you're not wrong there! I do possess 4 JM albums.

      Delete
  5. Hejira is probably my personal favourite of her albums, but this one isn't too far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JM is on my (longish) list of artists the whole world seems to love but that I just don't get. I do revisit her every few years but the outcome is always the same. I have a friend who wonders why we're still friends for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete