Search This Blog

Saturday 22 May 2021

Reasons to be Cheerful

 


 2021 Charity Shop Purchases 15  Reasons to be Cheerful - The Best of Ian Dury

As I mentioned in a previous post we spent a couple of nights in Granton -on- Spey earlier in the month and very enjoyable it was too.

However the charity shops of Granton, Newtonmore, Aviemore and Pitlochry sadly did not yield any bounty. Fortunately we struck gold in the Community Charity Shop in Kingussie one that I had never visited before. It was mainly books but there were three baskets full of a pretty eclectic range of CDs. Purchases were duly made.

One such purchase was Reasons to be Cheerful - The Best of Ian Dury a 2 CD compilation from 2005 on Demon. I haven't got to CD 2 yet but there is plenty to choose from from CD 1.

I thought that it was appropriate to feature this on a Saturday as Ian has made a couple of appearances recently here on the various Punk compilations I also thought that I should choose some tracks that have not appeared here before, 

First up is the moving My Old Man from his masterpiece album 1997's New Boots aand Panties !! where he features as plain old Ian Dury.

Te next two are by Ian Dury & the Blockheads. I think that There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards was the b-side of Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. If so  that makes a terrific single even better.

Finally the Blockheads take the opportunity to introduce themselves on the 1980 single I Want to Be Straight.

CD 2  looks a bit more obscure other than the live songs but no doubt it will pop up in due course

Ian Dury - My Old Man

Ian Dury & the Blockheads -There Ain't Half Been Some Clever Bastards

Ian Dury & the Blockheads - I Want to be Straight


2 comments:

  1. Another artist I discovered through the That Summer soundtrack so many years ago. From there I got New Boots and Panties and the Jukebox Dury compilation. Have been a fan for nearly 40 years. Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a talent Ian Dury was. One of those artists who, whilst well known, isn't well known enough

    ReplyDelete