Search This Blog

Sunday 31 January 2021

Val's Vinyl


 Val is back on more familiar ground this week with a 12 inch single by soul funk band Maze.

Recorded live at Hammersmith Odeon on March 22nd and 23rd March 1982. Who knows Val may even have been there strutting her funky stuff.

From Philadelphia and fronted by Frankie Beverly they are a band that I am not familiar with. Pretty much a new name to me but they were briefly namechecked in Stuart Cosgrove's latest book Cassius X which I have just finished reading.

Soul funk like this is not my cup of tea at all but maybe I am in a minority given that they appear to have a large and faithful following. On a subsequent trip to these shores in 1986 the sold out 8 nights at the same venue. Apparantly when going to see them fans have taking to wearing white to emulate the band. I will be keeping a close eye on Val's wardrobe

Maze -Before I Let Go

Maze - Golden Time of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment