Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2021

Val's Vinyl

 


Val is back on safer ground this week with a 12 inch single from the Motown label.

From 1980 and written by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards  My Old Piano  for her 11th studio album Diana the biggest selling album of her career. Probably the poorest of the three singles from that album given that the others are Upside Down and I'm Coming Out. Nevertheless it reached number 5 in the UK singles charts where it briefly hung around for 9 weeks and earned her a silver disc selling over 250,000 copies, one being Val's .

It should be pointed out that this is the Special Limited Edition Disco Mix in case you think it sounds slightly different from what you remember. On the subject of disco  I've added a song by Freddie Gwala following a hard drive search for the diva.

Diana Ross - My Old Piano

Diana Ross - Where Did We Go Wrong

Freddie Gwala - Diana Ross




6 comments:

  1. You would have got Freddie from me I think. He was a big star in South Africa in the 1990s. He would however take issue with your description of his style as disco, as he claimed to have invented a entirely new style called zumba. This was long before the fitness craze of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't be surprised if Diana Ross has released a Zumba DVD

      Delete
  2. Another splendid song from The Mighty Val's collection. Someone once said to me that sifting through someone else's record collection is the most fun you can have whilst keeping your clothes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Old Piano - probably the poorest of the three singles from that album" Had to laugh at that - it's always been one of my favourites of hers! What could I have possibly been doing in 1980 to make me think that? I never was much of a pop-picker.

    ReplyDelete