Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 June 2022

The Household Clearance cds. Part 5.

 


George writes:

Still here, and it’s the 5th in the series. Week 1 featured a dreadful Gospel album, which turned out to be cd2 in a 3cd set. And I wondered if the collection contained any of the others. I was disappointed, then, to pick out cd 3.


 In amongst the 20 tracks that I endured are a handful that break, well peek,  through the god-awful what-in-the-name-of-the-dear-lord is this bloody garbage. For example, track 16, I like its urgency, and I also approve of the relatively sparse use of the choir. I think I’ll put this on one of Download series (at vol. 193 as I write)


103rd Gospel Street Choir - wake up what's happening


Track 9, “There is a green hill” started very promisingly, with simple piano……..then great thumping bass and drums entered, with the inevitable overwhelming choir, and I just sat it out, waiting for the end. For it to be followed by Ol’ Man River. Jesus wept. Not that the lyrics are not very powerful, but, a good song needs a good tune.

Here’s two more tracks, the first is so good I could imagine a 1950s gospel quartet doing this!


103rd Gospel Street Choir - Burying ground


And this is also well worth a listen:


103rd Gospel Street Choir - Tell it on the mountain


So, 3 tracks from CD3 of Gospel, by the 10rd Street Gospel Choir.


Before tackling the next cd time for a musical interlude, namely the Elliah Heifetz album First Generation Album. 


That was a perfectly pleasant country album, from my collection. Back to The Clearance collection, and this name means nothing to me, it means nothing to me, and a startpages search has shown me that someone else does not want it:

https://www.olx.pt/d/anuncio/cds-e-dvds-originais-IDtItfN.html



It’s a an interesting collection, with some names now, bizarrely enough, familiar to me eg. Fafá de Belém. I think the €4 price tag is per cd not the entire batch. Infélizmente.. So, in to the tray goes GémeoS, musica Elliot Memphis I have tried two search engines to discover anything about Elliot Memphis.


Without success. So I’ll just  listen to what are promised to be “os sonos para a nova milénia” (Sounds For The New Millenium). I did wonder if “os sonhos para a nova milénia” would be a better title (dreams for the new millennium).  I have a feeling this is some sort of concept album, the inner sleeves talks about a man, possibly Elliott Memphis, who gives you the feeling of a big city but leaves it without creative power. I think. A man of the keyboards, but with a passion for new experiences, making this record was a gratifying experience. Something like that.

The sleeve also talks about routine being a prison that destroys mental agility and the creative impulse. Dear reader, this could be longest 49 minutes and 17 seconds of my life. This is the least objectionable track of the seven, it sounds as if it would have been played over the speakers of a 1980s wine bar in Wolverhampton


1 de 2 - "elliot memphis"


Listening to that was, let me tell you this, not a gratifying experience. But in my desperation to write something positive, I can say that if you were put on hold on the telephone, and this music was played to you, it would be quite a soothing experience.


The sleeve notes also contain some writing by Paulo Cardoso, blethering on about astrology. Now, I think Paulo Cardoso the astrologer is a real person, looking at this web-page! And given the title of the cd, “GémeoS” which means twins, but also gemini, I am dreading that this cd is one of 12 in the Household Clearance collection.


With music of the quality in today’s piece I’m not sure how many more weeks Charity Chic will allow the series to continue.


CC  writes: Must do better.
Readers challenge - just who is Elliot Memphis?

4 comments:

  1. "I’m not sure how many more weeks Charity Chic will allow the series to continue."

    I'm sure CC will always accept anything you offer up for publication and our consideration. You've taken on a task, which will have its messy moments, but it is one which must be completed.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read the next few and tell then if it's worth while continuing

      Delete
  2. I don't wish to cast aspersions on his character but Elliot Memphis is an anagram of "limp moist heel"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes a good point about routine though. Every day we're chucked into a field with the expectation to eat it. Day in, day out.

      Delete