Search This Blog

Monday 20 June 2022

Keeping Up with the Digital Joneses - 4

 

Fern


We kick off with Gospel on this week's random selection of Joneses. Fern Jones (1923 - 1996) was an American gospel singer from Arkansas who blended traditional gospel music with elements of country and rockabilly a la Wanda Jackson.
You will probably be more familiar with the version by The Byrds on the majestic Sweetheart of the Rodeo album

Fern Jones -I Am a Pilgrim


Wizz

Raymond Ronald Jones - an English acoustic guitar singer songwriter was better known as Wizz Jones on the British folk circuit.Now 83 he has been recording since the 50's. First Girl I Loved was written by Robin Williamson and was released by the Incredible String Band in 1967.Wizz recorded it in 1973 on his album When I Leave Berlin


Ronnie

Ronald Hugo Jones was born in 1937 in Springfield , Massachusetts and started his career as an R&B singer when he came to Europe with the United States air force when he joined the Blues Incorporated.He later formed a band called the Nightimers before moving to Italy.

Put Your Tears Away was a single in 1967 along side Little Billy Pretty One


More assorted digital Joneses next week



3 comments:

  1. Wizz Jones is generally a sound fellow - I have seen him a couple of times including at an all-star tribute to Bert Jansch a few years back - but it is foolishness bordering on blasphemy to think you can cover "First Girl I Loved" and not come off worse when compared to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three diverse and very good tracks, all destined for volume 194

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that I've caught up with Wizz Jones at a folk festival, but for the life of me I can't remember where or when. I'd have to agree with Ernie that it was a brave move to cover First Girl I Loved.

    ReplyDelete