Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 June 2022

Honky Tonk Masquerade

 


Among others on our recent visit to Edinburgh I had the honour of meeting the legend that is The Swede

Before we  met up he had contacted me to see if I wanted a copy of Honky Tonk Masquerade  the second album by Country troupadour Joe Ely from 1978. Needless to say I didn't take much persuading.

An album which was critically acclaimed it featured in the book 1001 Albums You Must Here Before You Die and which was placed at number 50 in Rolling Stones 50 Essential Albums of the 70s

In addition to the songs written by himself there are numbers written by his fellow Flatlanders Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore as well as a cover of Hank Williams' Honky Tonkin'

Being an incredibly generous fellow The Swede also threw in around a dozen or so CDs which he had digitalised but thought that I might like. I'm slowly working my way through them and I think that there would be merit in a series which I shall christen Swedefest.

Stay tuned

Joe Ely - Honky Tonk Masquerade

Joe Ely - Boxcars

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyable music to chew cud by. He needs to buy that album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only problem with Swedefest is that you've started with the headliner! I can't imagine anything from those CDs is going to touch the great Mr Ely, so I reckon another from Joe should conclude the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swedefest - I'd buy a ticket to that!

    ReplyDelete