Search This Blog

Sunday 5 June 2022

Albums on both CD and Vinyl - Maria McKee

 


This week's album that I have on both CD and Vinyl is the self -titled 1989 first solo album by Maria McKee  on the Geffen label.

I'm no stranger to the vinyl album having had copies of it on at least three occasions. In addition to her two previous albums with the band Lone Justice she has released a further 6 studio albums plus three live ones. I've got copies of a couple of the studio ones but none come close to her debut album.

Having owned the vinyl for a good few years why then did I feel the need to pick up a CD copy in a charity shop?. There is a very simple explanation. The vinyl album does not include the totally bonkers but totally brilliant Drinkin'in My Sunday Dress which is included as the 11th track on the CD version. This obviously made it an essential purchase. I've opted for her  gorgeous version of Richard  and Linda Thompson's Has He Got a Friend for Me which first appeared on I Want to Shoot Out The Bright Lights Tonight as my other selection.  Richard Thompson plays guitar and mandolin on the album.

I've only ever seen her once live. It was in Dublin after we stumbled out of Whelans  after having  seen the Jayhawks. We got chatting to some folk who were en route to see her and tagged along.She was good but not in the same league as the Jayhawks.

Maria McKee -Has He Got a Friend For Me?

Maria McKee -Drinkin' In My Sunday Dress\

2 comments:

  1. In another shining example of blogosphere synchronicity, Ms McKee similarly inspired my musical excursion.

    I don’t actually have this album but my friend did. He was/is a huge Maria McKee fan so I heard this album a fair bit. I’ve been meaning to check out her most recent album, which seems to have been well received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like bonkers but brilliant, may I direct your attention to McKee's third album Life Is Sweet, in my opinion an absolute masterpiece. Her second album You Gotta Sin to Get Saved is none too shabby either and features the aforementioned Jayhawks in a prominent role.

    ReplyDelete