Search This Blog

Friday 17 June 2022

Begonias

 


I have been an admirer of Caitlin Cary since her days in Whiskeytown and have seen her live in a solo capacity on a couple of occassions.

For a while I had heard very little by Thad Cockrell but what I have heard I liked. Following a conversation or two with Ernie Goggins as to their relative virtues and as solo artists he very kindly sent me a copy of Begonias the 2005 album on Yep Roc on which they appear as a duo. I have no logical explanation as to why I had never got round to picking up a copy before.

Notionally alternative country there are also tinges of soul together with some Everly Brothers harmonies.

As far as I am aware this was their only collaboration which is a bit of a shame as they make for a very pleasant listen.

Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Warm and Tender Love

Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Conversation About a Friend (Who is in Love with Katie)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you CC, would have been great to have more of the same

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two passable tracks there. Warm and Tender Love was v familiar to me but not via Percy Sledge who had the first hit with it so by process of elimination looking down the secondhandsongs.com website it must be Elkie Brooks' version I know it from but still not absolutely convinced. Good cover anyway.

    ReplyDelete