Search This Blog

Saturday 4 June 2022

Seen at King Tuts - The Long Ryders

 


The Long Ryders

Saturday  3rd July 2004                         £12.50         Ticket No: 00044

The Long Ryders were one of those bands who I had heard more about than I'd actually heard. I think through Andy Kershaw I was aware of Sid Griffen who had relocated to London and had a new band called the Coal Porters as well as being a music journalist and radio presenter.

From Los Angeles and part of the Paisley Underground movement they were on the go from 1982 - 1987 releasing three albums during that period .The announcement of a reunion in 2004 was met with great excitement by the Glasgow Americana ticket particularly as Tuts was one of the stops on the Europe leg.

There were further reunions in 2009 and 2014 prior to the band reforming in 2016 and the subsequent release of a new album Psychedelic Country Soul in 2019 on Cherry Red.

Not being that familiar with their music I'm afraid that I can't remember much about the concert other than they were very well received. King Tuts seemed to be the venue for such reunions and I have already covered the reunion of a similar band Green on Red in this series.

And yes Rol I actually paid over a tenner for my ticket.

I don't have any of their albums but found three tracks on various compilations - The Rough Guide to Americana, a Mojo Dylan Covered  CD and another Mojo compilation Desert Songs subtitled 15 tracks of Cosmic Roots Music all of which give clues as to where their music fits in.

The Long Ryders - You Don't Know What's Right, You Don't Know What's Wrong

The Long Ryders - Masters of War

The Long Ryders - Ivory Tower


2 comments:

  1. And I hear they're playing London in a couple of weeks (I'll be passing through the same day on my way back from a certain trip to Scotland, I quite fancy stopping off but I have to be back home...) 'State Of Our Union' was the album I loved at the time, definitely time for a reunion with it I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the key bands of the 1980s for me. When I saw them again in 2019 it was as if no time at all had passed, except I ached a bit more than I used to the morning after the show.

    ReplyDelete