Search This Blog

Thursday 16 June 2022

The Household Clearance cds. Part 7

 


George writes:

Here’s a first for these pages, The Lighthouse Family, and a song that got to number 3 in 2001 in this country.  

The cd is confusingly priced, at €9.94 on the front, and €4.94 on the back. Both are ridiculously steep prices for something that is too bland to be described as bland.  To be positive, it has in no way put the goats off their food. And it was a perfectly pleasant listen.  I can’t be bothered putting this onto mp3



The third track on the cd single is a remix of the above song, and I’m sure you can find it on youtube, just don’t ask me for a link. Another one for the bird.scarer pile.


Next out is what I think is an album. On opening the booklet in the case a picture opens out, like in those pop-up books some of us had as children. (Mine was a pop-out of 20 Leagues Under The Sea, a book that is in my music room).



The cd is titled Passenger, and underneath is Whispers, so my first guess is the name of the band is Passenger. Good god, it’s a bloke who uses his old band’s name. And there’s a wiki page about the album! And it looks like I have the version with the bonus disc.




Here goes…….The vocal sounds like a slightly speeded up Cat Stevens (The Guardian said it was a “snaggle-toothed rasp”), or someone who’d had a very brief blast of helium. Despite the slightly annoying vocal it’s surprisingly almost good, a mostly upbeat folk-pop album. I’ve heard a lot worse. Christ, I’ve BOUGHT a lot worse than this. By the time track 10 came on I was thinking that this might be a keeper. Track 11 made my mind up. Here it is:

Passenger - scare away the darkl


The bonus cd contains 7 tracks, acoustic, slower and more melancholic versions of some of the tracks on the first disc. Just Mr Rosenberg plinking away on his guitar and singing. All good, by the way.

Passenger - Rolling stone (accoustic)


And rather appropriately to the mood of the music, the goats are peacefully lying down chewing their cud. 


Another two next week.


CC writes: Worth waiting an extra day for. I can't decide which is the most impressive - the quality of the music or the pictures!


3 comments:

  1. I like the photo of George being attacked by a bat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look closely, you can see me warding it off with my Broughty Ferry pinky

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure you've quite got the concept of Sleeveface, George. Keep trying.

    ReplyDelete