Search This Blog

Sunday 18 February 2024

The Cat Crept In

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #11 - Cat Stevens - The Very Best Of

I had the occasional song by Cat Stevens here and there but no albums.
It therefore made sense to fork out 50p  in the Chest, Heart and Stroke charity shop in Auchterarder for The Very Best of Cat Stevens a 2003 compilation on the Universal label.

24 songs and I would estimate that I was previously familiar with about half of them including the three featured below. For some reason my CD Burner decided not to record this CD so I had to obtain the tracks by various routes

I was aware that The First Cut Is the Deepest was first recorded by P.P. Arnold rather than Rod Stewart but it was only when I got this CD that I discovered that it was Cat who wrote it.

As many of you will be aware he converted to Islam in the late 70's and became known as Yusuf Islam or just Yusuf. I suspected that Cat Stevens was not actually his birth name and the Internet tells me that it was Steven Demetre Georgiou. He also answered to Steve Adams.







7 comments:

  1. I have a Yusuf album. After far too much drink in Lisbon I went record shopping and this was one of the albums I purchased

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alcohol and record buying can be a dangerous mix.I once ended up with Marquee Moon and an Oasis album!

      Delete
  2. What else can you get for 50p these days?! I think you did well, CC. I’ve never felt the urge to get a Cat Stevens album but would not turn down a best of CD for 50p either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unlike Khayem I would love to get this CD for 50p - I shared Moonshadow for my Full Moon series and found out a lot more about Cat but not that interesting snippet about The First Cut Is The Deepest. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyson, sorry that was clumsy phrasing on my part. I definitely would pick up a Cat best of CD in a charity shop for 50p (or more)!

      Delete
  4. Always liked Cat Stevens in the 70s even though I had more progressive musical tastes at the time. He had a run of wonderful albs frm 1970 - Mona Bona Jakon, Tea For The Tillerman, Teaser and the Fire Cat and Catch Bull At Four and I readily recommend all of them.

    ReplyDelete