Search This Blog

Monday 5 February 2024

Celtic Connections 2024

 


Regular readers (or should that be reader?) will know that we usually attend some shows at the annual Celtic Connections festival  and that I provide some brief feedback.

This year we attended three shows. We limited ourselves to shows at the Royal Concert Hall due to good parking and easy access for Mrs CC's mum.

18/01/24 - Opening Concert 5/10

A tale of two halves. A short opening set was a few  numbers by the Danish instrumental group Dreamers Circus and some songs by the wonderful Rachel Sermanni. Unfortunately I missed a couple of songs as I had to leave the auditorium with a coughing fit.

The main show features mandolin player Chris Thile (of Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers fame) and the Scottish Symphony Orchestra. We were unaware that this was to be the European premiere  of his musical theatre piece ATTENTION!  It was not our kind of thing at all and I would say that was the case for about 60% of the audience. The other 40% gave him a standing ovation.

23/01/24 - The Good Lovelies/Josie Duncan 7/10

The Good Lovelies are  a Juno Award-winning ensemble comprising Ontario, Canada natives Kerri Ough, Sue Passmore, and Caroline Marie Brooks who have been on the go for 17 years. They could probably be described as mainstream Country comparable to the early Dixie Chicks. Their harmonies were faultless, musicianship and they seemed really nice folk who were genuinely glad to be there. However they were a wee bit too bland (in a nice way) for me.

I much preferred the opening act Gaelic singer Josie Duncan and her band. I would go and see them again.

02/02/24 - The Transatlantic Sessions 8/10

We saved the best for last. The Transatlantic Sessions is a Celtic Connections institution. Led by Jerry  Douglas and Ali Bain with a band of about a dozen brilliant traditional musicians including the likes of Phil Cunningham and John McCusker. They are joined by guest singers including Kim Carnie and Carlene Carter. The level of musicianship was exceptional. It is the first time we have managed to get tickets for this and hopefully it won't be the last.


Rachel Sermanni - Ferryman

Carlene Carter - I Fell in Love




7 comments:

  1. No disrespect to Ms Carnie, but slightly disappointed to find she isn't Kim Carnes which is what I misread it as. A trad.arr. version of 'Bette Davis Eyes' would be either magnificent or a monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about making Ernie's comment but dismissed it as beneath me. Fortunately, Ernie had no such qualms.

    I was more interested to learn more about the musical theatre piece that so divided the audience...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe anything is beneath me. Which may explain why I keep falling down the stairs.

      Delete
  3. Is that Attention thing a mish-mash of bluegrass wth orchestra-backing? Sounds like a new genre of progressive bluegrass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An accurate description but very light on the bluegrass.

      Delete
  4. Based on my exposure to one song I agree with your description of the Good Lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a mixed bag this time, but I always look forward to your thoughts on Celtic Connections. - Brian

    ReplyDelete