Search This Blog

Monday 26 February 2024

Jesus This is Iggy

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #14 - American  Caesar

There are still a couple from my Auchterarder Folk Haul to feature but I thought that I would  mix things up a bit.

My next successful charity foray was to Oxfam in Troon* where I picked up my first ever Iggy Pop CD namely American Caesar from 1993. In case you are wondering why on earth it has taking him so long to get something by Iggy wonder no more as I have The Idiot (1977), Lust for Life (1977) and Blah Blah Blah (1986) on vinyl. And of course Raw Power by The Stooges.

Described by Stephen Thomas Eriewine as a grungy detour and by Mark Demming of AllMusic as an overlooked masterpiece it's great fun

The front cover includes an in-built sign which reads Parental Warning:This is an Iggy Pop record. Sure there is the occasional sweary word and numerous references to sex and drugs but it is hard to get offended by them. As the sign points out it is Iggy Pop after all.

I couldn't let this post go by without including Iggy's take on Louie Louie.


Iggy Pop - Mixin' The Colours

Iggy Pop - Louie Louie


* Oxfam Troon CDs 99p

* Oxfam's Glasgow CDs £2.99

2 comments:

  1. As someone who used to work in an Oxfam shop, i generally steer clear unless desperate. They're not usually a place to find bargains. The one in Troon must be an exception!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, CC. Iggy in the 1990s was a different proposition to what had gone before, but some gems amongst the crap. Either way, you can't go wrong for 99p!

    ReplyDelete