Search This Blog

Thursday 15 February 2024

Songs by Bands I Don’t Like 4 - A Guest Series

 


George writes:

Yes, more songs I like by bands that I particularly dislike. Or “bands that I  particularly dislike but did buy a single once” in the case of these popsters from Aberdeen and Sunderland. The 12 inch single is in the music room, unplayed for nearly 40 years, but on listening to it again, well, it’s not a bad pop song at all, and does not suffer too much from the insufferable Ms Lennox’s vocal histrionics. Parts of the song have a Depeche Mode sound, and maybe less of a typical Eurythmics feel? It has been described thusly:a "fascinating song" that is "somewhat constrained" by the Eurythmics' practice of writing songs using few notes”  (from wikipedia). I think I bought a Thompson Twins 12 inch at about the same time I got this one.


Eurythmics - 1984


I just cannot fathom why they were so popular.  Nor the Thompson Twins. 


I used to have a single by this next lot, but shot it with my brother’s air rifle over 40 years ago. Mr Weller  writes a clever lyric, but the music was terrible, as was his delivery. Still, at least they weren’t the Style Council, Jesus wept they really were rubbish. The single I had? “News of the world”, but that’s not what you’re getting, it’s this, a far superior song. And that opening line of finishing your pint and picking up your cigarettes, memorable:


The Jam - The Eton Rifles


A true contrarian would have chosen David Watts.


CC writes


The Jam - David Watts

9 comments:

  1. Hang on, just checking, George doesn't like The Jam?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Eurythmics either. My wife does. Not liking The Jam opens questions. And The Style Council too, early records especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Jam slowly grew on me, peaking circa Going Underground, Tube Station at Midnight etc etc until Start and That's Entertainment at which point they scurried back whence they came. "At least they're not Style Council" perfectly sums up my view of that Weller iteration. David Watts is of course rightfully Ray Davies and The Kinks. Eurythmics' singles were generally alright but that Dave Stewart always seemed a bit up himself. Music, like football is all about opinions Ron innit? Scabrous sometimes.Mary Hopkin anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - that 'anonymous' vitriol belonged to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. If I was in a taverna with George, a wee argument would break out. (not about The Eurythmics, obviously!)

    ReplyDelete