Search This Blog

Thursday 8 February 2024

Songs by Bands I Don’t Like 3 - A Guest Series

 


George writes:

(That’s the interior of the Caird Hall in Dundee)


Another first for these pages. Actually, two firsts, but for different reasons. The first first, a band even more despised by Mr CC than last week’s, and a group much disliked by me. And that’s despite queueing for 4 hours in 1980 to pay £4 for a ticket to see them at the Caird Hall. For what turned out to be quite a tedious concert. But much loved by some of my schoolfriends, some of whom have formed a Genesis tribute band. I first heard this group  nearly 50 years ago, the older brother was a fan and bought the 1973 Live album, and Stuart and I listened to it. He was a fan then, but I was not persuaded,  and it certainly did not fit in musically with the glam singles or Annie’s Song I was buying at that time.  But I can listen to this tune quite easily, there’s none of the tedious Gabriel-era vibe of that Live album about it, just a simple pop song, one that I probably heard in the venue you see above::

Genesis - Turn it On

And the second first is an appreciation of a song by one of Mr CC’s favourite artistes. Not Townes, he’s an artist whose music I don’t dislike, just don’t like enough to buy an album. He has tried to convince with me Townes, but to no avail. And he really has tried with Mr Springsteen, with Nebraska, for example, but the one song that I genuinely liked on first hearing, and that was  on or about it’s release is this:

Bruce Springsteen - The River

It’s got a bit of a Neil Young-ish introduction and feel to it. I remember being so impressed that I have on occasion been tempted to buy the album. But the shelves remain bare of any of Mr Springtseen’s output.


CC writes:

You will get no argument from me about Genesis.

The Boss on the other hand - you are just being contrary!

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of the Boss - neutral rather than anti - but I bought 'The River' when it came out because I liked 'Hungry Heart' and still dig it out regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise Hungry Heart was on the album, so I'm glad I didn't buy it.

      Delete
  2. I think this series could run forever. Not through public demand, just a never-diminishing supply of source material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The River was my introduction to Springsteen because I was going to see him in Birmingham a few weeks later with friends who were fans. Funnily enough I was just listening to Sandy by Bruce before jumping over here as it was the featured song on my last blog post. Whatever people think of him he has certainly stood the test of time and still has the energy on stage of that 20-something chap I went to see all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wondered if anyone was going to say it. - Brian

      Delete
  5. Genesis and Springsteen? It's a living hell........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genesis - saw them once in the Gabriel era (tedious prog at its worst tho some prog was pretty good depending on the band) supporting, believe it or not.....Lindisfarne who I'd gone to see, who were great. If memory serves Ralph McTell opened. Ah yes, they were the days when we were spoiled with 3 artists on the same bill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hold the press on Ralph McTell, it might have been Gordon Giltrap - a memory wobble that will need some research to clarify - not that anyone cares..............apart from Ralph or Gordon

    ReplyDelete