Search This Blog

Sunday 4 February 2024

Shazam Sunday 9

 

I'm not sure whether this actually technically counts as Shazaming. Let me explain.

A few days ago we went to the pictures to see the rites of passage film The Holdovers starring Paul Giammati. It was pretty good if a bit formulaic. It had an interesting soundtrack and on more than one occasion I felt the urge to reach for my phone and the Shazam app.

However, as I am sure you are all aware, the use of phones in a cinema is frowned upon and if you are perceived to be recording something you can get into serious trouble.

Therefore, I waited until I got  home and took advantage of the services offered by Mr Google to identify who was singing what As you can see there has been a soundtrack album released and I was quite taken with the two tracks which bookend the film.

I have Damien Jurado's 1999 debut album Rehearsals for Departure  and saw him live around then. Thereafter he slipped off my radar. This song Silver Joy is rather lovely.

Labi Siffre is rightly best known for the songs It Must Be Love and Something Inside So Strong. I would argue that Crying, Laughing, Loving, Lying should be up there too.

All a bit mellow so I will end with the Allman Brothers and the version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed from their At Fillmore East, 1971 album which is slightly more raunchy.

Damien Jurado -Silver Joy

Labi Siffre -Crying, Laughing, Loving, Lying

Allman Brothers - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (At Fillmore East, 1971)


4 comments:

  1. So should this be classified in a different series? 'Thought About Using Shazam But Didn't Sunday' or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Labi Siffre had some great songs that should have been hits but weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're planning to go and see The Holdovers so no spoilers there - apart from the 'a bit formulaic' comment hahaha

    ReplyDelete