Search This Blog

Saturday 20 June 2020

50 Americana Albums You Should Hear Before You Die - Satisfied Mind


Woah we're half way there as Jon Bon Jovi once badly sang.

Yes, this week we have number 25 of 50 and to celebrate you are getting Satisfied Mind by the Walkabouts the greatest covers album of all time. As and added bonus you are getting a picture of the cover which is a photo of Herman in the Wheatfield and which is on of the great album covers.

From 1993 on the Sub Pop label (I suspect it will be the only Sub Pop record in the series) it is their 6th album of 13th. I've another three and good as they are quite frankly they are not in the same league or even on the same planet.

A Satisfied Mind also know as Satisfied Mind was written by Joe "Red" Hayes and Jack Rhodes was a major hit for Porter Wagoner.It has been covered around 50 times and I have a good few of those versions.
The one on this album is the best of the lot and is one of the songs I want played at my funeral (along with You're Still On My Mind by the Byrds and Green Fields of France by The Men They Couldn't Hang)

Money can't buy back

Your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonely
Or a love that's grown cold

The other 12 songs on the album are of an (almost) equally high standard. Realistically I could have chosed any of them and  they would be the 2nd and 3rd best songs that you will hear today.
I've gone for covers of songs by Nick Cave and Charlie Rich




3 comments:

  1. Loom of The Land. What a great track, and will be the best song I hear today. Satisfied Mind is a tremendous opener, but to be followed by Loom Of The Land, well, as someone once said, Second Is Better Than First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been trying to remember when I first heard "Satisfied Mind" and I think it was on a John Martyn album. I checked and there seem to have been 50 or more cover versions dating back to the mid 1950's.

    Liked that Loom Of The Land song too - a band worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Nick Cave cover is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete