Search This Blog

Saturday 30 May 2020

50 Americana Albums You Should Hear Before You Die - Downtown, Saturday


From 1999 on the great German Glitterhouse label (and Undertow in the US) Downtown, Saturday is the second of the four albums by St Louis band Nadine.
Their other albums were Back to My Senses (1997, Glitterhouse /Undertow), Lit Up From the Inside (2000 , Glitterhouse /Undertow) and Strange Seasons (2003,Trampolene). All but the last one grace the shelves.

Coincidentally, they received a mention in last weeks instalment featuring Hazeldine when I mentioned that I saw them play in Helnsburgh. They were the second and last band that I have seen in Helensburgh. I've just noticed that inexplicably the first band I ever saw in Helensburgh do not feature in this series. That may be rectified later on in the series with a potentially controversial substitution.
The late bass player Ann Tkach who also played with Hazeldine was part of the band on the night  I saw thembut did not appear on Downtime, Saturday but did so on Lit Up From the Inside.

The personnel were Adam  Reichman (vocals/guitar),Steve Rauner (guitar/organ) and Todd Schitzer (bass/drums).
We got chatting to Adam who was a lovely fella and who, I'm guessing, was heavily influenced by Neil Young as these songs would suggest.

Nadine - Closer

Nadine - So That I Don't Miss You

1 comment:

  1. They're nice. Can definitely hear the Neil Young, but without the implicit grumpiness.

    ReplyDelete