Search This Blog

Thursday 27 July 2017

Burnt Offerings 27


Burnt Offerings is a day late this week but I hope you agree that it was worth the wait.
Three totally different types of tunes for you this week
Some psychedelic soul to kick off with courtesy of  Shuggie Otis, son of  legendary blues man Johnny Otis
Us Glaswegians always have a chuckle at his name given that we use Shug or Shuggie as a nickname for anyone called Hugh.
I should really get some of his stuff and I suspect that 1974's Inspiration, Information from where this track comes from is probably a good place to start

Shuggie Otis - Aht Uh Mi Hed


Next up are  recently re-formed English shoe gaze darlings Slowdive with their take on Lee Hazlewood's classic Some Velvet Morning. A song which I read has also been covered by Primal Scream, Vanilla Fudge and Lydia Lunch.
A band I am not very familiar with but one I know that many of my blogging colleagues hold in high esteem

Slowdive - Some Velvet Morning


Finally we head to Mexico to touch base with Luis Gerardo Garza Cisneros a former member of Zurdoc and Vaquero better known to you and I as Chetes.
This song as many of you will recognize was the third single from his 2006 debut solo album Blanco Fácil

Chetes - Que Me Maten

More random nonsense next week

8 comments:

  1. That Shuggie Otis album is absolutely magic. You'll love it Cc. I also have a cracking Johnny Otis and Friends compilation that is worth seeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my birthday money could be going Shuffie's way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. is next week "otis week" on these pages?

      Delete
  4. Huey Morgan keeps banging on about Shuggie Otis and whenever he plays something by him, I make a mental note to investigate further.

    Apparently, he turned down an offer to join The Rolling Stones...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvvFKMemnnw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered Some Velvet Morning by Lee Hazlewood earlier this year courtesy of C - This is certainly a different version by Slowdive whom I have actually heard of as they seem to pop up on your blogs quite a bit. Will definitely remember that name now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shuggie! Man, that's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete