Search This Blog

Friday 31 July 2020

Kite


2020 Charity Shop Purchase 28   - Kirsty MacColl - Kite

The second time Kirsty has appeared via a charity shop this year following my gift of Don't Come the Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim! which coincidentally is a track from Kite.
Also the second time that Days has appeared here in as many weeks

From 1989 Kite is Kirsty's second album and her best.Her first album on Virgin and produced by her then husband Steve Lillywhite.
Up til now there wasn't a copy on the shelves but I found myself singing along to every song as I had a copy on cassette many moons ago.

While everyone remembers Kirsty as a great singer it is easy to forget that she was also a terrific songwriter.
Taken from us much too soon when she was hit by a powerboat when diving off the coast of Mexico. As the powerboat was owned by a multi millionaire money talked,  there was a cover up and it took a lengthy campaign to get some but not all the answers

Kirsty MacColl - Days

Kirsty MacColl - Fifteen Minutes

Kirsty MacColl - Dancing in Limbo

Has anyone else been switched to the new Blogger format?
It's very hard to navigate, work out how to schedule posts and put on pictures.
I've reverted back to the legacy version

8 comments:

  1. "I found myself singing along to every song "
    hopefully alone in a locked and soundproofed room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite j«having absolutely no Kirsty MacColl singles or albums I recognised all the songs today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luddites unite, back to the legacy for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not being one of the cognoscenti I hadn't heard the other two songs before but.....they were great and Kite is now added to my wants list. As for Days, I know I'm over protective of Kinks cover versions at the best of times, but for me Days is one of those songs that is sacrosanct and as the definitive version has already been struck there's little point in attempting a feeble facsimile. Sorry Kirsty....and Elvis Costello and Colin Meloy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reverted by to legacy pretty damned quick too. New formats are rarely an improvement.

    Kirsty MacColl is much missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of the new blogger format and have reverted back to legacy. Eventually they'll make us all change over I should think but I'm holding out until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle of this month, by the look of it.

      I've tried it and it's much harder to use than the old one for a quick post. I never understand why these improvements always make things harder.

      Delete