Search This Blog

Thursday 2 July 2020

3x4


I was deep down a Dream Syndicate rabbit hole the other week when I discovered something interesting .
3x4 is an album from 2018 on Yep Roc where four of the most notorios  bands from the L.A. Paisley Underground scene of the 80's cover the songs of the others or as Americana UK has it four bands play swappsies with each others songs amd make a Paisley Underground dream of a record.

As you can see from the above the four bands are The Bangles, The Three O'Clock, The Dream Syndicate and Rain Parade. Two of whom I am familiar with and two of whom I'm not.

I was tempted to feature all twelve tracks over a four week period but given the album is only from 2018 that would be a bit unfair. So one from each band.

Band A will play a cover of a song from Band B  who will play a cover of a song from Band C who will play a cover from Band D who will play a cover from Band A. I hope your paying attention at the back.
Bands A&B this week then Bands C&D next week.

Band A are one of the new to me acts The Three O'Clock who were on the go from 1981 to 1988 and then from 2013 onwards.
They cover Getting Out of Hand by Band B who are The Bangles who hardly need any introduction.

The Bangles then cover That's What You Always Say which is a song by The Dream Syndicate (Band C) and then we do it all again next week

The Three O'Clock - Getting Out of Hand

The Bangles - That's What You Always Say

4 comments:

  1. Two excellent songs - I never knew The Bangles could be so good. If the next instalments are just as good this album will have to join The List

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Bangles here, especially the guitar feedback, gives it a really live sound. I think I've got to grips with the Band A, B, C, D thing but please don't set any tests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny of those 4 bands, it's The Three O'Clock and Rain Parade that I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's as easy as ABC......D. I liked the Bangles cover best of the two though I think we're all the worse for hearing the word swappsies - made me feel quite ill

    ReplyDelete